Heroes of Deep Learning: Andrej Karpathy
“It’s really important to not abstract away things. You need to have a full understanding of the whole stack.”
Andrej Karpathy was first exposed to AI as a student in Geoffrey Hinton’s class at the University of Toronto. Now the Director of AI at Tesla, Karpathy is known for offering the popular Stanford course, Convolutional Networks for Visual Recognition with Fei-Fei Li, and for making the course widely available online.
Andrew Ng sits down with Karpathy to discuss the stories behind his achievements and his thoughts on the long-term future of AI.
Here’s what you’ll learn in the interview:
- 00:20: How Karpathy first got started in AI
- 2:08: Karpathy’s path to becoming the “human benchmark” for the ImageNet image classification competition
- 6:10: How Karpathy created and put his Stanford Convolutional Neural Networks course online
- 8:00: Karpathy’s understanding of deep learning, and how it has changed over the years
- 10:14: Karpathy’s thoughts on the long-term future of AI
- 13:16: Karpathy’s advice for deep learning students
Want to build your own career in deep learning? Get started by taking the Deep Learning Specialization.