Community

For the Coursera of...

Share:

For the Coursera offerings, any order/sequence thoughts?  

RSS

michael1778
(@michael1778)
26/10/2018 2:05 pm  

Restricting the discussion to the ML course and the DL specialization (5 courses) at Coursera, would most of you recommend the ML course first as a conceptual and mathematical foundation?

Thanks in advance for your insights and recommendations.

--Mike

tmatha
(@tmatha)
04/11/2018 10:59 pm  

Mike,

No, you can take the deep learning specialization without having taken the ML course.  However, the specialization doesn't cover some of the material in the ML course. That may be a reason to take the ML course. But the ML course is not required as a "conceptual and mathematical foundation" for the specialization. The specialization is largely self-contained. Within the specialization, you are better off taking the 5 courses in the same order they are given.

Best,

Thomas

marsabdul liked
ReplyQuote
Mo Rebaie
(@mo-rebaie)
Estimable Member
12/04/2019 2:25 am  

Hello everyone, I accomplished the deep learning specialization before accomplishing the machine learning course, I didn't face problems to understand the materials of DL specialization, knowing that my academic background is in Mathematics.

I prefer and recommend others (especially who are not familiar with mathematics) to take the ML course before taking the DL specialization, the DL is more advanced than the ML course, indeed you can start with the DL specialization, it's self-contained as tmatha mentioned.

M.R

ReplyQuote
HumbleBee
(@humblebee)
14/08/2019 7:54 am  

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I find it pretty useful

ReplyQuote
mcabsb79
(@mcabsb79)
28/08/2019 6:20 am  

Hi, I have a question on the DL course, too. I am an electric engineer, so I have a mathematics background. However, I was wondering how much coding is needed to take the DL specialization. At this point, I am learning Python basics. Once I finish it, would that be enough to take the specialization? Is is needed at all? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

This post was modified 3 months ago by mcabsb79

ReplyQuote
marcelo.araujo
(@marcelo-araujo)
28/08/2019 8:03 am  

Hi, I have a question regarding the DL specialization. I am an electric engineer, so I have a math background. However, I am still learning the basics in Python. How much coding is needed in the DL course?

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo.

ReplyQuote
Mo Rebaie
(@mo-rebaie)
Estimable Member
10/09/2019 4:58 pm  

Hello @mcabsb79 and @marcelo-araujo,

my educational background is also in Mathematics with Computer Science, I would like to give you both a helpful suggestion based on my experience, personally I found my self familiar with applying ML algorithms easily without spending a lot of time learning Python, the idea behind it is that Python is just a tool to implement your projects, so if you have a strong Maths and Engineering background, you will understand the theory behind ML and DL algorithms which is the most important thing.

I recommend you both to take the DL specialization immediately after learning python basics, because coding with Python is not hard to understand, and after accomplishing the DL specialization, it's useful to take the Tensorflow in Practice specialization at Coursera by Laurence Moroney.

M.R

ReplyQuote
Share:

We use cookies to collect information about our website and how users interact with it. We’ll use this information solely to improve the site. You are agreeing to consent to our use of cookies if you click ‘OK’. All information we collect using cookies will be subject to and protected by our Privacy Policy, which you can view here.

OK

Working

Please Login or Register